Things you should be looking at.

Monday, November 03, 2008

Stop Sign Graffiti

There's a lot of stop sign graffiti in our neighborhood.

Some of it is annoyingly political and unimaginative (like the person who adds "WEARING FUR" or "EATING ANIMALS" or "VEGANS" or "WAR" under the word "STOP.") Some of it is juvenile, but funny, like the one near campus that is defaced to say "STOP POOPING!"

My favorite I've seen in our town says "STOP DEFACING SIGNS!" It made me chuckle.

I didn't realize until recently that this happens everywhere. Some examples:



Related: I mentioned this one in an earlier post but just found a photo of it online:

2 comments:

Skyler said...

where do u find these signs? its awesome

Anonymous said...

Dear Pointing and Giggling,


My name is Angela and I'm a graduate intern in the Education department at the Getty Museum. The Education department is currently in the process of developing a free curricular resource titled Poetry & Art for secondary teachers and students.

We are planning for this curriculum to include at least one video component and in this video we wanted to feature graffiti stop signs. We were wondering if we could feature the ones displayed on your page on Monday November 2, 2008, "Stop Sign Graffiti." We would use the stop signs as an example of 'everyday' visual poetry.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I'm leaving a comment because I cannot find your email address. Please feel free to delete this comment and email me your response.


Sincerely,

Angela Kim
Graduate Intern, Education
angkim@getty.edu


The J. Paul Getty Museum
1200 Getty Center Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90049-1687
310-440-4351 (Phone)
310-440-7750 (Fax)