Things you should be looking at.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

(With apologies:) Star Trek and Doctor Who

First, imagine Matt Damon as a young James T. Kirk. Yup. Potentially in an upcomming Star Trek film to be directed by J.J. Abrams.

I actually like a lot of Abrams' work, and I definitely admire Matt Damon's work...but I'm frankly sick to death of $hitty Star Trek cultural products, no matter how much I've liked Shatner's work on Boston Legal (playing an egotistical, macho lawyer who is losing his mind) and his last album, 'Has Been'. Produced by Ben Folds, I actually really like this album.

Second, my brother, Andrew, has been emailing me to check out the new fan-produced Star Trek series, Starship Exeter (What, Starfleet Academy is is New Hampshire now? WTF?) . I don't care for it, and especially dislike the continued use of godawful 70s design elements, but you may think differently. Here's a direct link to act one of The Tessaurian Intersection. Andrew thinks the production values are surprisingly good (Update, 6/23/2006 - Andrew has clarified tht he didn't think they were good, but that they perfectly replicated the original program's godawful production design). I think that given what some folks can now do at home, the Starship Exeter folks could do a hell of a lot better.

On the other side of the atlantic, BBC Wales DOES know how to revive good Sci-Fi from previous decades. The new Doctor Who series that started up in 2005 is now running on the Sci-Fi Network. They've managed to capture everything that made the old series great, while adding modern production values and, believe it or not, good writers.

2 comments:

Jake said...

Dr. Who > Star Trek x 11

Andrew said...

My point was that they matched the 70s production design perfectly.